WHAT IS AN OPERATIONS MANAGER?
An Operations Manager is a senior employee responsible for the overall success of an establishment’s projects. They work across various departments and monitor opportunities for improvement. They also plan and implement initiatives which support teams in increasing their accomplishment of long-term goals. As projects progress, Operations Managers communicate their observations and strategies with stakeholders and department heads. In addition, they may participate in the hiring process, interviewing and selecting prospective employees.
WHAT SKILLS DOES AND OPERATIONS MANAGER POSSESS?
Operations managers must possess the ability to think “big picture” in order to ensure future success of long-term projects and goals. Since they work across departments, they must maintain effective communication across multiple channels at the same time – ability to multitask and prioritize is a must. Strategic thinking and goal setting will aid Operations Managers in the implementation of initiatives.
The following skills will ensure individuals will be successful in their role as an Operations Manager:
- A bachelor’s degree in operation management and substantial experience in the field.
- Analytic skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to identify problems and strategize solutions
- Budgeting skills
- Ability to set and communicate long-term goals
“Reaching goals in the most time efficient manners bring joy to me and my team – I enjoy helping people achieve their best work possible. We all deserve to take pride in the work we do and our accomplishments.”
- Operations Managers work on one project at a time
- Operations Managers do not require strong written and oral communication skills
- Operation Management is all numbers and can be monotonous